11 January 2008

Notes from NH


Moments that stood out from Primary weekend:

• The first day I canvassed, I was really intimidated. It seems so crazy to just walk up to someone's door and knock and then launch into a political discussion with someone you don't really know... But you'd be surprised how many people will talk to you - invite you in, even. I went to the door of one man who had a note by his name that said he was an Independent voter, had been visited by us before and showed he was "leaning towards" voting for Senator Obama. When he answered his door, I apologized for interrupting the football game which was clearly on on the tv behind him. "No problem," he said. I told him I was back because the election was close and I wanted to see if he had any questions about Barack Obama. I gave him a quick run-down as to why I was campaigning for Obama. He listened politely, and when I asked him if he had any questions, he said "No, I think I know who I'm voting for." I asked who, and he said, without irony, "Mitt Romney." There's a strange first and second choice. Romney/Obama '08 anyone?

• As we were doing a visibility in the middle of town on Monday - which basically consists of holding a bunch of signs, whooping and hollering and trying to encourage people to honk as they drive by (silly, I know, but it seems to be a method of all campaigns everywhere) - an elderly woman exited the bank across the street and yelled, "I wouldn't vote for him if he were the last candidate on earth! Obama rhymes with OSAMA!" Um, what?!?

• My friend Heather called a man and as soon as she got him on the line and started her appeal, he said, "Say no more, he's the man!" When she asked if he'd be voting for Obama on Tuesday, he said, "I can't vote." She had his registration information in front of her and said she was sure he was registered, to which he replied, "Yea, but I got convicted of a felony recently..." Whooops!

• Heather also called someone who said flat out, "I don't vote for N***ers." Wow. Didn't think anyone admitted to that anymore.

• I canvassed at a house with a WWII Veteran license plate on the car in the drive. The wife and husband were listed as registered Democrats. A note indicated that the wife had been visited before and said she was "definitely" voting for Barack. The husband answered the door when I called upon them this time. Immediately the husband began ranting that Barack was a liar. I asked him "What do you perceive he's lied about?" He responded "Everything." I asked him to elaborate and he started to explain to me that Barack Obama was a Muslim terrorist who was trying to bring down the US from the inside... I told him we'd have to agree to disagree on that one, and politely excused myself. He told me to be careful on the ice as I left. Wonder if he knew about his terrorist abetting wife?

• The night before the polls, our last task was to hang little "Don't Forget to Vote for Barack!" door hangers on the houses of people who had expressed a strong interest in him. This began at about 7pm at night, right after the surprise rally that Senator Obama had just held in town. Of course we were all "Fired Up and Ready to Go!" Until we got out and started actually doing it. There's nothing worse than sneaking up to someone's house in the dark. Especially in an area where some houses are about 500 feet off the main road, in the pitch black, with a truck in the driveway adorned with an NRA sticker. And a huge "Beware of the Dog" sign on the fence. My friend Heather and I got stuck with a particularly desolate route way on the outskirts of town. All of the sudden we came upon about 400 cars lining either side of the road. We looked at each other and said, "Rally." But for who? Why for Mike HUCKABEE!! The rally was just letting out. So here we are, double parking Heather's car in the middle of the road, both of us exploding out of either side of the vehicle, running - sometimes long distances - to the house on our list, or the house next to the house on our list because it was so dark we couldn't see house numbers, and coming back to giddy Huckabeeans waiting to pull their car out of the spot we'd blocked them into. Imagine the headlines: "Obama Supporter Run Over by Huckabee Backer." At one point, we saw about 6 Goth kids in the full hair and makeup, 8 inch platform boots, etc. getting into their mini-van carrying "Huckabee!" signs and high-fiving each other. Neither of us could figure THAT one out.

• My favorite call was to a man who stopped me in mid-sentence and said, "O-BAH-ma... He's a liberal, right?" I responded, "Well, yes, he's a progressive candidate." To which he replied, "We don't got nuthin' to do with liberals in THIS house. They can all go to HELL," and promptly hung up on me. I smiled as I looked down on his voter registration information: "Registered Democrat."

No comments: