11 September 2007

Jes Has Cool Hair



I'm kind of obsessed these days with "Rock of Love" on VH1. I know it's total trash tv, but it's really engaging and well done. And kind of hilarious. It's sort of like WWE wrestling - no one really believes that Bret Michaels is looking for real love on the show, nor that any of the girls really is that in to winning the undying love of a washed up 45 year old rocker who hasn't has a hit record in 15 years and wears more eyeliner than they do... But it's great to watch the ladies all bitch fight as if they really do.

Jes is my favorite girl. Because she has fabulous hair, a great attitude and is probably the only one who sort of gets the irony of the whole thing. Plus her commentary is incisive and always funny. And she's from Chicago. Chicago girls rule. She's got a great accent, too. And did I mention her hair? It's pink and platinum. She sometimes wears it up in a total punky rock faux hawk, and then sometimes smooths it down in a chic femme mullet. (I mean that in the best possible sense.) Anyway. Jes' hair is the bomb. If I were brave enough, I would totally do the same thing with my hair, but sub peacock green for the pink.

For the past several years, work and acting have prohibited me from having the hair that I really want to have. I've always wanted some pure rock and roll hair, but shows I was in, or jobs that I've held just weren't compatible with hair self-expression. I love hair color. I mean real color - red, blue, pink, green. And I love really artistic haircuts. Asymmetrical, choppy, severe - love 'em. But I've never really had one. So Jes is my hair super hero.

Recently, my friend Michael gave me a really awesome baby steps to rock and roll haircut. The front two inches of my hair is platinum, and the rest of my hair is darker blonde. It's noticeable, but not too radical. I love it. It's my own personal color statement that says "I'm a little unconventional, but not too much." And Michael gave me an asymmetrical bob. It's longer in the front than back, and longer on the left side than right. Just a little bit. Again, a little edgy, but not over the line. It's very cosmo. Again, I love it. I'm hoping that in the next year or so, my life will afford me enough freedom to take the next step to a really radical cut and color. But for now, I'm loving Jes' hair. And my own.

No comments: