11 March 2007

Qboro or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

It occurred to me this past Friday night, as I was rushing through the Times Square station transferring from the N train to the 1, that like it or not, I am becoming a NEW YORKER. It was a stunning discovery, one that's been creeping up on me for the last couple of months. January marked the official 18 month anniversary of my moving to New York and I have resisted and fought the notion of becoming a New Yorker with all my might. I am a nice Midwestern girl with Midwestern manners, values and folksy charm (or so I'm told - especially by New Yorkers: "You're so NICE!").

I've watched New Yorkers on the streets for the past 18 months, and the one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty about them, is that they are an ANGRY bunch of people. Ok, I generalize, not all of them, but a LOT of them are angry. A lot of the time. About a lot of different things. None of which really matter that much. But, it's not their fault that they're angry. Here's why - Manhattan is an island. A small island. And 3,000,000 people live on it. Several million more commute to work to Manhattan everyday, as well. Needless to say, it gets a little crowded. And as we all saw on the national news a couple of weeks ago, it's not the cleanest place in the country, either... (Anyone up for some Kentucky Fried Rat?) Manhattan is smelly, it's cramped, it's loud, it's dirty and everyone's personal space is invaded on a daily basis. You can spend entire subway rides lodged in a stranger's armpit (I'm looking in your general direction L train). Facing this first thing every morning can make people... uptight. Venomous, really.

Oh, and did I mention that Manhattan proudly proclaims itself to be the most expensive piece of real estate on the planet? It is exactly the crazy lack of space that drives up the prices on everything in Manhattan to the point where even a stinkin' apple at your dirty, dirty neighborhood Gristedes is at about a 200% markup compared to the rest of the country. You think I'm exaggerating? Then you haven't lived here. Anyhoo. All of these things led me to mentally distance myself from the place I was living. New York was where I lived, but it sure wasn't home. And I sure as HELL wasn't a New Yorker.

So... why did it dawn on me, as I juked and zigged and zagged my way through the teeming throngs Friday night in Times Square station, that I am becoming a New Yorker? That's what I will be exploring in my future posts at this very site! If you like it, bookmark it and come back and visit. Tell your friends! If not, thanks for dropping by for this one time only visit. Nice to have you. Don't forget your umbrella, it's by the door there. For the rest of you, see you in a day or two!

No comments: